In school we use a variety of resources to support children in maths.
We follow the White Rose Maths Scheme which ensures children are gaining a variety of experiences and skills which will allow them to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life.
We teach children to:
- Become fluent and confident in the fundamentals of mathematics.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, explain relationships and justification using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematic skills to a variety of problems, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps, thinking logically and persevering.
We provide teaching and learning activities through:
- Practical maths
- Problem solving
- Mathematical games
- Using resources such as place value counters and numicon
- Computer games, such as Times Table Rockstars
From 2020, all children in Year 4 will be taking an online multiplication tables test. The national curriculum states that by the end of Year 4, all children should be able to recall multiplication and division tables up to 12 x 12. The test is to ensure that children can recall these facts fluently.
At school we use TimesTable Rockstars to support this. It is set for homework from Year 2 upwards and children also have weekly tests in school to check their progress. Each child has a log in and is set questions to answer for homework. Certificates are awarded in Friday’s assembly for children who have improved the most and have the quickest speed. We will also be having regular tests in school to find the quickest ‘Rockstar’ in each year group.
Maths games to play at home
Help with learning tables – multiplication.com
Variety of KS1 and KS2 games – top marks.com
Please see below for the objectives in each year group. If you’d like to obtain a hard copy of these objectives, or would like any further information about how maths is taught, please ask Miss Higham (class teacher and maths subject leader).