Our pupils learn to read and write effectively using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme.
The programme is for:
- a gentle introduction of phonics and letter formation in Nursery
- pupils in Year R to Year 2 who are learning to read and write
- any pupils in Year 2+ who need to catch up rapidly.
We teach pupils to:
- decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- read ‘tricky’ words on sight
- understand what they read
- read aloud with fluency and expression
- write confidently, with a strong focus on vocabulary and grammar
- spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- acquire good handwriting.
In addition, we teach pupils to work effectively with a partner to explain and consolidate what they are learning. This provides the teacher with opportunities to assess learning and to pick up on difficulties, such as pupils’ articulation, or problems with blending or alphabetic code knowledge.
We assess pupils half-termly and they are grouped so they work with children at the same level.
Once our pupils have completed the Read Write Inc. programme and are ready to move on, we further develop their reading, writing and speaking and listening skills using the Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language programme.
The Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language programme
The programme is for:
- pupils in Year 2 and above who have completed the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme and are reading fluently
At Micklefield, we use the principles of the planning included with the Literacy and Language programme and adapt it for the needs of the pupils within our school.
The programme enables us to:
- Teach pupils to have a deep understanding of what they read using the special 'three reads' approach using the quality texts included in the anthology of each year group
- Fully prepare every child for writing using a planning, drafting and revising method
- Teach grammar in context so that children can apply it seamlessly in their own writing
- Support the grammar and punctuation aspects of the Key Stage 1 and 2 tests
- Create articulate speakers where children justify their answers and learn how to debate.
Children are prepared for the Year 2 and Year 6 SATS by completing past papers, and similar papers. This involves reading and answering comprehension questions based on the text.
Pupils are given opportunities to read in a variety of curriculum areas during topic lessons where they can apply the skills that they develop during Read Write Inc. Phonics and Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language.
Thanks to Friends of Micklefield, our school library has received a significant variety of new books to encourage children to access a range of texts suited to their own personal interests.
There are also a variety of reading schemes in school to encourage your child to read whilst also extending their reading ability and confidence. The schemes include Collins Big Cat, Oxford Reading Tree and Rigby Star.
Children in all year groups also enjoy a daily story time.
If you’d like to obtain any more information about Read, Write Inc., Literacy and Language, or how reading and writing are taught, please don’t hesitate to talk to your child’s class teacher, or Miss Watson (class teacher and English subject leader).
Getting excited about books on World Book Day...